Update – I sent them back as they were too narrow and gave up on Trail Runners until this past Friday. Bought a pair of Asics Gel-Venture 5 shoes in Havasu. Fit is good and I walked 6 miles in them yesterday and they felt pretty darn good. So we’ll see how these goes but I’m planning on wearing them for my mostly pavement, next to the road walks and the boots for the desert, off road hikes.
Last week I decided to take a shot at trying using Trail Running shoes instead of hiking boots. There’s a lot of debate about which is better and after looking things over and discussing it at Thanksgiving with my Nephew John who is quite knowledgeable about all things related to hiking; I jumped in.
I bought, from Amazon of course, Salomon Men’s Speedcross 3 Trail Running Shoe. They were waiting for me when I got home so I popped them on and without any warming them up took the trail this afternoon. Below is a picture for those who haven’t seen them.
- Amazing grip with that amazing sole. Nearly like having cleats on!
- Lightweight. My boots are lightweight but these things are amazing. Makes your feet seem super light.
- The way the shoestrings tie. They’ve come up with a system that I’ve never seen before that everyone ought to use. Hard to explain but really nice.
- My foot moved around quite a bit in the shoe, more than I’m used to in a boot for sure. This could be my not having the shoe tightened correctly or perhaps they are a half size off? But it concerns me.
- Lack of protection. I’m not so much talking about ankle support here, though that is an issue with all trail runners. That didn’t bother me too much. Instead I’m referring to a lack of stiffness in the sole of the shoe. My feet were a little sore after just over 5 miles. The terrain was rough and I walk hard, still this could be a problem for my old feet.
- The shoe was very comfortable in some places and not so much in others. I’ll have to get used to them and let them break in a bit before I know if this is a serious issue.
This is going to be an interesting experience and hopefully work out ok. At this point I’m pretty sure I’m going to get another pair of boots in the new year (more on boot issues in another post soon).
But I do hope that these will work well as they are cool and breath like crazy so would be perfect in the heat of our long summers.